Tuesday 26 June 2012

Rhubarb and Ginger Jammin

My grandfather's rhubarb patch was a healthy jungle of giant leaves. Pushing them aside Nona and I tugged at the stems and (careful not to fall backwards!) we pulled the rhubarb from the ground. The captain says that rhubarb leaves are poisonous and so must not be composted. Consider yourselves warned.

DSCF1218
Rhubarb haul wrapped in the Torygraph

I gathered inspiration from BBC Good Food and adpated the recipe as per the constraints of what was in the house.

1.9 kg rhubarb
2kg granulated sugar
juice of two satsumas and half a lemon
2 teaspoon tried ginger
8cm of fresh ginger grated
vanilla essence

DSCF1219
The process of mixing fruit with a load of sugar is called macerating. Leave it overnight and in the morning...

DSCF1224
it will look like this. 

The jam didn't really set - oops! It turns out rhubarb doesn't have much pectin in it. Mum says that I could call it 'conserve' or 'compote' but I think jam is jam however jammy it is. This is good on toast (who'd a thunk it?) stirred into yoghurt or mixed with fizzy water to make a gingery rhubarb drink!

DSCF1226
This is the first time I've made jam on my own and I was so filled with jam-pride I even made labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment